Access to free books for schools and programs serving children in need
Through our National Book Bank program, First Book connects publishers with local schools and community programs serving children in need. The nation’s only clearinghouse for large-scale book donations, the National Book Bank puts over 8 million books each year into the hands of kids in need.
How it works:
- First, sign up with First Book! Anyone who works at a Title I school or program serving at least 70% kids from low-income families is eligible.
- Our publishing partners donate large quantities of brand-new books to First Book.
- We notify everyone in our network via email whenever books become available; usually at least once a month.
- The teachers and program leaders in our network review the list of available books and resources, select titles for their children and let us know which books they'd like.
- First Book matches the requests with the donated books and ships everything out, using volunteers and borrowed warehouse space. (Each distribution takes place in a different city).
- All books distributed through the National Book Bank are free!
- Anyone close enough to the warehouse can pick up their books in person. For anyone further away, First Book ships the books. There is a shipping and handling fee of 45 to 85 cents per book.
Donate Warehouse Space
We have an ongoing need for warehouses interested in hosting book distributions. These partners must be able to accept freight shipments of books and hold this inventory for a limited time. Click here to learn more.
Become a Publishing Partner